Quick Links: Faculties | SUG | Management | Music | Videos | Latest News | Scholarships | E-Books/Past Questions | Hostels | AAU Life



Uncategorized

Rivers police confirm family of six died from generator fumes

Jul 4, 2017

The Rivers Police Command has confirmed that the death of a family of six whose decomposing bodies were found by neighbours in their residence at Rumuomosi , in Obio/Akpo Local Government Area of the state, occurred after they inhaled what was believed to be fumes from a generator set.

 

Spokesman of the command, DSP Nnamdi Omoni, disclosed that the decomposing bodies of the six members of the family were discovered only last Monday when the neighbours noticed their absence for the past four days and raised alarm.

 

The police image maker said that the remains of the family members have since been deposited in a mortuary. He advised people to keep their generation sets away from where the fume could harm them.

 

Recall that on Monday, neighbours of the family discovered the decomposing bodies at their residence on Salvation Street. The neighbours had gone in search of them when they realized that not one of them had been seen since last Friday.

The discovery threw the residents in a mourning mood. The family was made up of the father, mother, and four children. The ages of the children were said to be 6, 4, 3 and seven months.

 

The police evacuated the bodies on Monday afternoon. According to the landlord, who asked for anonymity “because the police was then investigating the matter” said he saw the family last on Friday morning.

 

The landlord told journalists that “Their generator was on when I returned home on Friday evening and I presumed they were inside the house. I didn’t see them on Saturday. I also did not see any of them on Sunday.”

 

He continued: “My junior brother called me this afternoon while I was at work to intimate me that something was happening at my house, so I rushed down here. I am in shock.”

 

One of the neighbours who saw the bodies when the police arrived to evacuate them said they were lying down on the floor which suggested that the family might have been watching television and perhaps slept off in the process, leaving the television and generator on.

You Might Also Like

No Comments

Leave a Reply