Diabetes is a metabolism disorder. Metabolism refers to the way our body use digested food for energy and growth.
Most of what we eat is broken down into glucose. Glouucose is a form of sugar in the blood. It is the principal source of fuel for our bodies.
Therefore diabetes mellitus is a disease in which a person has high blood sugar (hyperglycemia)
CAUSES OF DIABETES
Diabetes is caused by the following
1. Insulin production is inadequate
2. Body cells do not respond properly to insulin
3. Environmental factors which include diet intake.
4. Obesity and physical inactivity
5. Excessive consumption of alcohol
Note; insulin is a hormone secreted by the pancreas. It helps in carbohydrate metabolism.
1. Increased urine output(polyuria)
2. Excessive hunger
3. weight loss
6. skin problems
7. slow healing of wounds
8. yeast infections
9. blurred vision
10. sexual dysfunction in men
11. absence of feeling(numbness) or tingling sensation in the hands and feet.
COMPLICATIONS IN DIABETES
1. Retinopathy (eye disease) eg cataract, glaucoma
2. Nephropathy (kidney disease)
3. Neuropathy (Damage to nerves)
5. Heart attack
NORMAL RANGE FOR DIAGNOSIS
1. Fasting Blood Sugar (FBS) is 65-110mg/dL
2. Random Blood Sugar (RBS) IS 140mg/dL or below.
watch your sugar level today..